Our Family Four

  • Subscribe to our RSS feed.
  • Twitter
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • Facebook
  • Digg

Sunday, July 21, 2013

On Non-Milk and Hannah's Bubble Shorts

Posted on 8:02 AM by Unknown
Shorts 5When Hannah was a baby, between 6 and 12 months, we discovered that she wouldn't take a bottle, wouldn't have anything to do with formula in any form, and wouldn't drink any version of cow's milk, goat milk, soy milk, etc, just mom's milk.  No pressure.  Also, she was always tiny, which paired with the above information about her eating preferences, caused me lots of anxiety, tears, and panicked conversations with Chris, her doctor, my friends, my mom, etc.  Shorts 6Over a year later, we are still in that same boat.  Though we make sure she gets calcium and healthy fats through various other sources, occasionally a trip to the store causes me to fall into a state of anxiety/despair with all sorts of thoughts of how terrible of a mom I am and how my child hasn't grown, etc.  
Shorts 7
A few weeks ago I had one of these mornings out of nowhere when I was trying to find some shorts to fit Miss Hannah.  I tried on and put back the 2T, the 18-24 months, the 12-18 months, and when I was rifling through the pile for 6-12 months I started to cry, and then I just left.  I remembered this pattern for bubble pockets shorts that I'd seen on various different blogs and I came home and bought it.  And then I used some leftover fabric and made the most amazing and adorable shorts ever.
Shorts 4For the record, Hannah doesn't typically wear a size 6-12 months.  She is in that 18-24 month range, and is healthy, happy, and we have no reason to be concerned.  But sometimes that horrible "mom guilt" charges in and takes over.  
I had a funny sense of empowerment as I sewed up these beauties while she napped that day.  That my girl is fine and I'm doing just fine as her mom and meeting her needs.  And if we can't find some shorts to fit her, then I'm going to MAKE her some shorts that fit her, and that will be the end of it.Shorts 2Shorts 3And so I did.  And we had yogurt to celebrate my success.
Shorts 9
Email ThisBlogThis!Share to XShare to FacebookShare to Pinterest
Posted in attempts at being crafty and domestic, Hannah, I sew, me, Parenting | No comments
Newer Post Older Post Home

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

Popular Posts

  • We're Off!
    Saturday morning Chris, Jayce and I left Chicago and headed to Florida.  Jayce was a complete gem in the car, and I was so grateful for our ...
  • Celebrating 2
    We've had a bit of a dilemma about Jayce's birthday each year, because we don't have any family nearby to have just a little fam...
  • Christmas in Ohio
    My Christmas pictures are obviously incredibly overdue, and in an attempt to consolidate my efforts a bit, I turned to collages. Family Ti...
  • Busy
    Well, my month of every day weekday blogging is over. And now that it's over what did I think of it? Eh. I don't know that I actual...
  • 30 Years
    Happy birthday.  Today, you turn 30.  I am so lucky to have you.  You have brought more joy to my life in our decade together than I thoug...
  • 20 Months Old
    When Jayce was about 10 weeks old, I went to meet up with a few friends for coffee. It was the first time they had ever met Jayce and they...
  • Valentines Day: The One Where We Celebrated
    For Valentines Day this year, we had a variety of celebrations. That morning, Chris and Jayce woke me up with cards, chocolate, and somethin...
  • Rocking, Not Sleeping
    Little Hannah, you have just drifted off to sleep. You might have drifted off 2 minutes ago, or 20 minutes ago. I'm so tired, and would...
  • Moving In Outtakes
    So, moving in.  The weekend when we arrived was a crazy one.  Not only did 4 other people descend upon the flat, but also 4 people's stu...
  • The Buttered Popcorn Jelly Belly
    If you ever get around my brother for a minute, ask him about the time that I gave him his first buttered popcorn flavored jelly belly.  It ...

Categories

  • 2013 Monthly Goals (11)
  • attempts at being crafty and domestic (80)
  • Baby #2 (31)
  • Birthday (29)
  • Chelsea (30)
  • Chris (48)
  • Christmas (33)
  • decor (4)
  • Ellery (1)
  • Erin (54)
  • Etsy (9)
  • family (46)
  • Germany (6)
  • Grandparents (49)
  • Halloween (11)
  • Hannah (116)
  • Holidays (30)
  • House (17)
  • I Heart Faces (3)
  • I sew (9)
  • Jayce (219)
  • Justin (10)
  • LCC (3)
  • Lemon Tree Creations (12)
  • Lincoln (6)
  • London (52)
  • marriage (1)
  • me (100)
  • milestones (10)
  • naptime (4)
  • Parenting (49)
  • photography stuff (38)
  • photos (48)
  • Publication (6)
  • random (23)
  • Scotland (4)
  • sick (7)
  • Sunday Six (3)
  • The Farm (1)
  • travel (12)
  • tricks (4)
  • tutorial (3)
  • us (153)
  • vacation (19)
  • videos (21)
  • Visitors (2)
  • walking (1)

Blog Archive

  • ▼  2013 (79)
    • ►  September (5)
    • ►  August (6)
    • ▼  July (15)
      • Hannah Doll
      • Hannah's Birthday at Kew Part 2 and Sleeping in Pu...
      • Hannah's Birthday at Kew Gardens, Part 1
      • The Floral A-Line: AKA, My Favorite
      • On Non-Milk and Hannah's Bubble Shorts
      • Fluttery Floral Tunic Dress
      • Four Dresses, Three Too Big
      • Popsicle Geranium and A Surprise
      • On Making Dresses, the Geranium, and Being One of ...
      • Childhood and Motherhood and Oatmeal and Walks
      • Race Day
      • The Tent
      • Hannah Says...
      • School Holidays and Our Park
      • Jayce's Birthday Party
    • ►  June (13)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (12)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (9)
    • ►  January (8)
  • ►  2012 (114)
    • ►  December (10)
    • ►  November (7)
    • ►  October (11)
    • ►  September (14)
    • ►  August (7)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (7)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (10)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (11)
  • ►  2011 (142)
    • ►  December (10)
    • ►  November (22)
    • ►  October (10)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (15)
    • ►  July (10)
    • ►  June (10)
    • ►  May (13)
    • ►  April (12)
    • ►  March (8)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (15)
  • ►  2010 (131)
    • ►  December (8)
    • ►  November (7)
    • ►  October (10)
    • ►  September (9)
    • ►  August (13)
    • ►  July (11)
    • ►  June (12)
    • ►  May (14)
    • ►  April (14)
    • ►  March (11)
    • ►  February (11)
    • ►  January (11)
  • ►  2009 (34)
    • ►  December (15)
    • ►  November (19)
Powered by Blogger.

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile